Great Amwell with St. Margaret's and Stanstead Abbots Benefice
Vicar: The Revd Anne Donaldson

About the Benefice



The Benefice covers three villages with four churches, and is located in east Hertfordshire between Ware and Hoddesdon. We are 20 miles NE of London alongside the London-Cambridge road (A10). Stanstead Abbots is on the east bank of the river Lea, whilst Stanstead St. Margaretís and Great Amwell are on the west bank. Ware is to the north, Harlow to the east, and Hoddesdon to the south. The Villages are mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) and were strategic long before that, due to the ford, then bridge, over the Lea. There are farms surrounding the villages, and the Lea valley, which has been a source of gravel, has bird sanctuaries and a marina.

All four churches are listed Grade II. St. Andrew's, Stanstead Abbots was built in 1881, but the others all date from the 12th Century and have many interesting features.

All the churches have PA systems and Induction loops. Children are welcome in all three churches - there are Sunday school groups in St. Andrew's and St. Margaret's, and crŤche/play boxes in all three for the younger children.

Stanstead Abbots

The village has been based on maltings in the past, but now has a variety of small businesses, from Jewellers to architects to electricians, based here. There is also a 200-year old High Street with Chemist, Post Office, butcher, bakerís shop, greengrocer, hairdressers, as well as restaurants and pubs etc. There are several listed buildings, including the Old Clock House at the end of the High Street, which used to be a Grammar School in Tudor times. The Lea is navigable with a riverside walk from London to Ware, and we have a marina. There is a church Primary School linked with St. Andrewís.

St James Church, Stanstead Abbots, HertfordshireThe original parish church of St. James is outside the village, next to Stansteadbury, and is maintained by the Churches' Conservation Trust ably helped by the Trower family. It is still used for worship occasionally, and is an excellent concert venue despite the tall box pews!St. Andrew's in Cappell Lane was built in 1881 and is now the parish church.


St Andrews Church, Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire St. Andrewís is evangelical and benefits from several links with missions overseas. All Nations Christian College is in the parish, with students from all around the world. The services on a Sunday are at 8.45am (Holy Communion from the Book of Common Prayer); 10.15am which follows a monthly pattern of Holy Communion, Morning Worship, and Family Worship; and 6.30pm Communion or Evening Prayer, sometimes held in the Community Room at Chapelfields. Please see the diary page for more information.


Stanstead St. Margaretís Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Margarets, Hertfordshire
This village started life called Thele or Stanstead Thele. The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary is recorded c.1300. In 1316 a college of 4 priests was set up to pray for the Lord of the Manor, his wife and his patron the Duke of Essex. His wifeís name was Margaret, who had inherited the title, and so the village became known as Margaretís Thele. The Chantry built onto the church of St. Mary to house the college is thought to have been dedicated to St. Margaret, as the village eventually became known as Stanstead St. Margaretís. The chantry was closed during the 1400s and demolished, but the church is still used for worship every Sunday, mainly at 10.30am, and 11am on every second Sunday. (please see the diary page for more information).

The organ was originally a chamber organ, but was converted to accept barrels in c1851. Four of the barrels are still in existence and are used for demonstration purposes to visitors. It is believed that this is the only remaining William Allen barrel organ in working order. There are also 52 heads of people and animals carved beside each window. The main income of the village was from farming and market gardening, however the greenhouses are gradually making way for more housing. There is still a station, with half-hourly trains to Hertford and London Liverpool Street.

Great AmwellSt Johns Church, Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

The part of the village on the top of the hill has a wonderful view across the Lea valley. Just below the church there is the New River, constructed by Hugh Myddleton in 1609 to carry sweet water from the wells at Ware and Amwell to Sadlersí Wells in London, which it still does today. The well-known architect Milne designed the picturesque pool with itís islands below the church, the setting for the singing of madrigals every midsummer.

St. John the Baptist church enjoys a more formal style of worship at 9.00am every first, third and fourth Sundays, and at 4.00pm and 6.30pm once a month (please see the diary page for more information), and holds a more informal Family Service on the second Sunday of each month at 9.30am. There is a church Primary School linked with St. John the Baptist.

What's on Today
.
. • NO Morning Prayer (St. Andrews)
• St Andrews School Carol service (St. Andrews)
• St Johns School Carol service (St. John the Baptist)
• Christmas concert (St. Margarets)
.
What's on Tomorrow
.
. • No Events Tomorrow
.